Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firmware on DAT72 SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmaine

MIS
Mar 12, 2009
US
I've got a Quantum DAT72 SCSI, on a Dell Windows XP machine.

The "clean tape" light constantly flashes. I'm told that a firmware upgrade is required. So, downloaded that from Quantum.

The drive's docs say that firmware can be upgraded by using the diagnostic software available at
Can't find anything like that, on the site.

?? Can anybody get me going in the right direction?

I just checked it out, the "Clean" light isn't actually flashing at the moment but it's on steady. I should have said too, that cleaning the drive doesn't help.

And, I have two identical Dell PCs with Windows XP, each with an identical Quantum DAT72 drives, on SCSI cards.

They both do the same thing. The "Clean" light is always on. Flashing or steady, but always on.

Fred

Cleaning tapes are only good for a certain number of uses. If you are using a cleaning tape that is used up, it will act as though it is going through the motions of cleaning.....but it will not reset the LED. Might want to try a new cleaning tape if you have one. Just a thought.

Andy

Thanks, but everything is new. Bought both of these identical units about a month ago. Cleaning tapes have been used maybe five times each. Haven't even rotated the entire set of backup tapes around yet.

Side note, the tape drives and SCSI interfaces were not purchased installed; otherwise I'd call Dell and have them deal with this. We bought the DAT72 and SCSI cards from Dell separately and put them in.

Fred

Ah, found it. Wasn't paying attention. The docs for the drive say "you can upgrade your tape drive's firmware...by using the diagnostic software available at
I missed the "diagnostic software" part. I just downloaded the diagnostic software and doc.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back