Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firmware & Device Driver Updates HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have been tasked with the job of updating a few hundred servers with the latest firmware and drivers from HP. None of these servers (a mix of windows 2000 / 2003) have been updated before.

Since I am a rookie on this, I sent a note to HP Support asking for some advice and they said I should update the firmware first using the Proliant Firmware CD (running remotely) and then running the HP Smart Start after.

After we completed the update, we had a message on one of our servers telling us to update our hard drive firmware.

I asked HP again, and they came back with..... reverse the order!

So.... does anyone here have any advice on how I should do this? Or if you have some kind of install doc, that would be fantasic!

Thanks
Barry

Do you have the HP SIM loaded on any of the servers? You can choose one server (SIM) as a management server and push updates. The Update CD will update all firmware---including hard drives. HP is actually right this time rare)lol

Burt

Right on the driver install then firmware, or firmware install then driver?

Thanks Burtsbees!!

Barry

I've always done firmware then drivers.

Did you download the latest Proliant Support Pack (PSP) for your servers and run that?

I am running the firmware update CD: Firmware Maintenance 7.91 and then the Proliant Support Pack for Windows Server 2003 7.91A

We attempted to run the firmware update on one server, then the PSP after, and upon reboot, we received a message saying: Disk Drive Firmware Update recommended.

Thanks for your help!
Barry

What drives do you have in your server? Type, size, and speed. Also, what server (hardware) are you using?

There is a newer version of the Firmware Maintenance CD, too. I believe v8.20 was released earlier this week. You may want to download that and give it a try.

I think you can find it here:

I'll check that and post them back here!

Do you think I can use this latest firmware CD and then install the HP Insight Manager 7.91 pack? I am using NetIQ for monitoring these servers, and they only support this release.

Thanks!
Barry

I don't think the firmware update would be affected by the version of the support pack as long as it is relatively current. You should be ok with 7.91.

Good Luck.

Excellent, thanks!

Now... just have to figure out how to back up my old firmware, and I'm all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back