Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fireworks 4.0 pop-up menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

I have two problems relating to the Fireworks pop-up menu feature, both interrelated with Dreamwaever 4.0.

I am able to create the pop-up no problem in Fireworks and export it OK.

Problem 1:

In Dreamweaver, when I insert the pop-up (ie, using interractive images>insert Fireworks html), it displays a script icon that shifts the image in Dreamweaver. I have tried all the preferences but weirdly it will not disappear from view. Although it does not affect browser display, it does make life difficult as it creates a cell that is too large, disputing all my other design cells/tables. How do I get it to disappear from view?

Problem 2:

Although you can specify the position of the pop-up menu in Fireworks, both IE and Netscape ignore this and place it elsewhere (generally to top left - Netscape is worst). How can I rectify this/control position of the pop-up menu is the browser?

Many thanks in advance,

Lance

I have experienced the same problem and still have not been successful at getting it to work properly. I have finally resorted to using Flash if I need interaction of that nature.

this post will not help your problem but I thought it might help to let you know that you are not alone. several of us have experienced this and as of yet have been unable to rectify the situation.

:cool:

I to have this problem. the only wat to fix it is to change the X Y cordinates in dreamweaver itself. Darn crazy and pointless if you ask me. The must be an easier way!!!

fireworks automaticly sets the cords to 0 X Y cords!

Whats the point in even having the pop up menu!

I am trying to make a website for a charity. The idea is to have pop-down menus located at the top of the screen on a toolbar. I have Fireworks 3.0 and dreamweaver the same version. How do I create pop-down menus using Fireowrks 3.0?

Hi all i to have had the same problem and to fix it for me i had to use the DRAW LAYER tool in Dreamweaver and draw a layer on my webpage to the same size as the Pop Up Menu you can then insert the FireWorks HTML into this layer...
To make sure the menu is on top you can set the priority level for the menu layer.
Pop Up Menus may NOT work with frame pages if your pop up is to large because they can not cross the frame page borders.

Hope this helps.
P.s. I'm still learning so if it dosn't SORRY...

Karl. :)

Hey newbie2--see if you can upgrade to Fireworks 4 for this. Not sure if FW3 can do it all, but I do know that FW4 makes it super easy. However, from my experience it seems like DW4 has a few glitches (see posts above) when it imports FW html, so I've had great experience using FW 4 for the pop-up menus, and exporting them to DW3. Good Luck.

Ive had the same problem with pop up menus in websites using both dreamweaver and fireworks 3 and 4, I gave up and now use flash. But the closest I came to success was using a variety of different layers and NO!!! Frames. Frames always screw things up. Hope that Helps. :p

Post the code. I'm willing to be it's conflicting cell sizes, or something of the sort. "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Rear Admiral Dr. Grace Hopper

Yes, you have to change the x y coordinates in Dreamweaver - this is because Fireworks created the HTML using the CANVAS size - it has no way to know what size page you are placing it on or what your placement will be, so you have to adjust it after you are done inserting it. Maybe your canvas size it too large?

My web site has a Pop Up menu that resides just above a FORM element which is a pull down menu. When this happens, the pop up menu is displayed behind the form element. Is there any fix for this problem?

Oooorrrrrrr...... go into Fireworks and select all and CROP IMAGE

that makes it so that the only thing exported to DreamWeaver is the menu, not the rest of the canvas.

Hello all!

What's the problem? Just to change X and Y in DW (or any other editor) - is it difficult? I don't really think so. Creating pop-up menus in FW is the easiest way I know! Just change later X and Y.

For Newbie2:
this feature comes only with FireWorks 4, so you won't be able to do it with FW 3.

Good Luck!

How do you change the x y coordinates in Dreamweaver 4. I made the popup menus work but need to line them up better. Also can you blend the pop up menu in to the navbar to make them look as one in stead of hte outline edge of hte pop up menu. I choose the HTML style pop up menu.

Scott

To nwcne,

Check this message: thread726-119260 it describes how to do it.

Good Luck!

I have been playing around with the pop-up menus lately. I wanted to use them to open a linked page in another frame within Dreamweaver. I have been unsuccessful to this point. How do I achieve this or am I just creating problems for myself??? Thans for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back