Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewire Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

forbzy

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
CA
Howdy.

I'm a Firewire newbie, and I want to add a Firewire card to my G3 233 beige desktop running OS 8.6 (yeah, I know, it's a dinosaur, hehe) and an external Firewire CD-RW. I've been reading a lot of manufacturer's specs, and most, if not all, say that in order to run a Firewire CD-RW, the motherboard must have native firewire compatibilty - thus adding a card and connecting to the burner will not work, as beige G3's do not have Firewire technology on the motherboard.

Have you ever connected what I have described above, and to what degree of success, or can you offer some advice on whether this will work? I'd also appreciate any advice on specific configurations (models of cards and burners) that WILL work with my setup.

Thanks immensely in advance!

Firewire PCI cards work fine in the beige G3s. Just turn off your computer, stick a firewire card in the slot, reboot, and you are good to go as apple has included the firewire drivers in OS8.6 and up. I have upgraded several G3's to firewire this way. See for more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back