Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewire as network

Status
Not open for further replies.

La7oea

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
DK
I have a laptop standing next to me.... and no extra NIC available for my stationary PC. Tried networking the two via firewire... and it worked. But how about sharing the intenet connection? Both PC's ar running XP and the NIC and firewire in my stationary pc ar bridged together. The result is that my laptop can ping sites on the net, but when trying to reach them with Internet explorer things do not seems to be as smooth as I hoped for. Is there a "dummy guide" for this?

Thanks in advance.

(We take fewer prisoners than Djenghis Khan)

Finally I've got it solved. Seems to be necessary to bridge firewire and Ethernet-NIC at my laptop together even though I'm using software designed for the purpose (FireNet). But anyway, it was a long and grinding haul to get there.... Am I happy ? Well probably not, but the pleasure of getting to where I wanted is good.

(We take fewer prisoners than Djenghis Khan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back