Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sopman

Technical User
Mar 21, 2001
US
I'm now using a cable modem. I have Norton Anti-Virus and keep it updated. How important is it to have a firewall, such as Zone Alarm?

Sopman

Without a firewall you are susceptible to hackers commandeering your PC for various purposes, to attack other PCs or to read confidential portions of yours. You should invest in a firewall program ASAP. I get a couple of detected attacks every day. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

u could also configure a Linux-based firewall so it provides gateway access to your LAN, and at the same time protects all your machines...

good luck..

a linux alternative is only really going to be useful to you if you wish to get involved in learning linux. I'd recommend one of the many home internet routers that are available now. They come with web based utilities for setting up firewalls and will also allow you to share your connection with all your pc's in the household.
I just set a linksys up for a friend of mine and you can't beat the price ($79 at compusa).

I enjoy the flexibility of a linux firewall however, and run them in all my networks.

Sygate Personal Firewall is a good one - it also has a trial period so you can download it and try it out
A combination of a router/firewall like linksys and sygate is good protection.

Kim Leece

being a senior tech for 8 IPS's including cable and wireless broadband, I can tell you that any firewall such as zone alarm, will work fine for what you want it to do. If you have XP the connection firewall that comes loaded work really well (sometimes too good). but zone alarm and norton firewall is good too.

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back