Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall wall problem hostin Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

FasTcub

Technical User
Oct 13, 2002
GB
ok i only purchased Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router f5d6230u3last week....
The problem im havin is hostin games nobody can see them???
Im usin NTLbroadband Cable.....IM on XP PRO
I have 2 comps hook up....Main computer is hook up with cable.The other is a wireless 1 in other room.......
Both computers work fine apart from i cant host......
I put these settings in Special Application settings as these r the ports for the game a play....
I put the same port number in trigger as in public ie.6667 in trigger and 6667 in public port....I used all as TCP..AM i doin this correct????

6667 (IRC)
3783 (Voice Chat Port)
27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
28900 (Master Server List Request)
29900 (GP Connection Manager)
29901 (GP Search Manager)
13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
6515 (Dplay UDP)
6500 (Query Port)

So is this the way to go about it?OR do i need to config the comp i use for online gamin?If so how...
Or how i go about it..IM a nOOb! to routers hope u can help.
K hope u can help! i sick of tryin different methods!

FasTcub,

If I understand it correctly, it appears that you are trying to host an online game on your XP box.

My first question would be, can you game between the two computers that are on your local net?

If so, then I would be looking at the NAT function on your router. I needs to forward incoming packets destined for its public IP address to one of your machines, but it probably doesn't know which one, and is appropriately dropping all incoming connections.

If you can't game locally, then I would be looking at XP's firewall. The simplest test is to shut the firewall off and see if it works. If it does, then you still haven't worked out all of your firewall rules.

I would install ethereal from to get a session capture of a working gaming session. Then you can turn on all of the correct ports, including the TCP/UDP flags.

pansophic

Lan gamin OK.........I forwarded all correct ports but still nobody see my games?

Where did you forward all ports?

And describe your configuration. Are you using RFC 1918 addresses (192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, or 172.16-31.x.x) on your LAN?

Are you using a single, routable IP address on the external interface of your router?

Is that the address that the internet based people are trying to reach?

pansophic

Yeah im usin a 192.168.x.x...........One is my server IP the other 2 r my comp IP....I forwarded the comp IP that i want the games to ply on.....But with no luck...
When i use DMZ...and forward the ip of the comp i use all is ok........
I forwarded all ports correctly in correct section etc...I been told this is the only way u can host games usin a Belkin router..U need to use DMZ???
Well im still open to ideas?

I'm not familiar with the Belkin router itself, but on a real firewall, you only forward inbound connection requests to your DMZ network(s). That way, no one can access your protected network directly.

So if the Belkin router believes that it is performing as a Firewall as well, then this would make sense.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back