Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall rule base (VB Script requirement or VBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chieftan

MIS
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Hi,

I will try and explain as best I can.

I have been given the task of cleaning up a firewall configuration that contains hundreds and hundreds of policies over a period of time. The first thing I need to do to achieve this is to work out the required services and their zones and to and from points.

I have completed the actual sorting in Excel, and now, if I need to achieve the desired results I will have to manually go through each entry, this could take weeks or months and time is not on our side for this project.

So, here is the scenario..... Take an IP address of, oh, 192.168.1.10/24..... I need to know what policies that IP address comes under and also the Services it uses and also if it has multiple dst addresses or even more src addresses. As you can see, manually that could take forever, even after filtering (I have already tried)...... I fi could write or get a script that can complete this task and write to a new worksheet that would be awesome, and if I ever met who could supply me that, I would owe them a stack of beer :)

The columns are listed as follows:

Policy ID (Column D) , From Zone (Column E), To Zone (Column F), Src Address (Column G), Dst Address (Column H) , Services (Column I) , Action (Permit, deny, etc) (Column J).

The reason for this is that I know a lot of /32 masked addresses are going to be included with the same services and maybe even the same to and from zones as an actual network address.... well that's pointless.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HI,

If you're going to perform this analysis in Excel, then you ought to post in forum707.

Please include in your post, the logic specification of what you need to perform.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back