Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall: "msmsgs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NazzcaPro

Technical User
Aug 11, 2001
AU
In the settings for the firewall, there are a few msmsgs inserts that keep appearing and automatically give check-marks beside them so that Internet users can access. I notice this happens when I go into Outlook Express or MSN Messenger and don't know if this is normal or suspicious.(ie. "msmsgs 11517 UDP" / "msmsgs 16112 TCP" / "msmsgs 6948 UDP" / "msmsgs 8213 TCP")

It seems that the different protocols are being enabled on their own for some reason. Anyone know? pls and thk-u.

Well, simply MSMSGS is MSN Messenger. It will obviously launch when you launch MSN messenger, and will also launch when you run Outlook Express, as there are bits of messenger built into OE to see when you're contacts are online, or something like that.

Is that what you're asking?

I mean that under the Firewall Settings those ports & protocols show up in there automatically and was just wondering why they would show up there without my doing.

Thx Linney,

I'll check those links out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back