Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darnell1

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
I just recently connected to the web through a cable modem. I have NAV2004. People tell me I should get a firewall like zonealarm.

I play Half-Life online and was wondering if a firewall affected the performance of connecting to a server to play HL

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

No firewall is like playing Russian Roulette!! The odds are very much not in your favor.

SEE: What I really need to protect my PC - Article
thread83-908564

Vince

Read the article I posted here: thread83-903910

Get a firewall.

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

But my question is does a firewall so down or keep you from playing gaming online?

No it doesn't chances are you may have to configure a port to be open to play your game but that's it. A firewall is a door. If you say ok the door remains open letting traffic through. If not it's shut in your face.

vop's and my point is that whether something is slowed down or not is irrelevant. How "slow" will things be when your system is completely unusable or even trashed from some piece of malware?

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

In my experience, a firewall doesn't slow down online games. And, if half-life requires you to open a tunnel, it won't be slower, because it won't be filtered.

I will say this tho - after I say "get a firewall! ;-)" - if you get a firewall, it will slow you down -- for the length of time it takes you to mess with it and get it to work! :-0

In humor;

Mark
<O>
_|_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back