Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall for server 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulienDogg

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
hello, my first post here. I've recently installed windows server 2003 enterprise on my server comp. i've allways used zone alarm pro for a highly configurable firewall. I've noticed with server2k3 zone alarm does not work properly, i've surfed the zone labs forums and many others have the same problem, zone labs says zone alarm is not supported on server platforms, although the release docs for latest ver. state that it would be compatable with "the upcoming" server 2003. oh well. I'm far from impressed with the integrated firewall in server2003, i was wondering if anyone had found a good firewall with program control and a decent interface that worked well under server2003. i've also tried kerio, couldn't load windows with it installed.
ok then, any advice would be appreciated and ty in advance.

Julien.

Whats wrong with a hardware firewall? There's lots to choose from, cheep, no need to upgrade (compatible with all OS's), generally considered to be more secure when set up correctly.

Other than that try some freeware but most are geared towards linux. Software firewalls for servers are useually more expensive than hardware ones.

Paul

I have been using ZA4 with Win2003 server for a 2 months with no problems. I used to run ZA 3 with Win2000 server before.

I agree with sabrinaduncan, Coyote Linux is good ....But if you are someone who does not use command line on a regular basis or understand Router/Firewall configurations... I would recomend "smoothwall" This is very easy to use ... It's all web based!

--Rory--

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.1 Works perfectly on Win2K3 Serv (unless you have Exchange 2003 server installed on it, it make it hangs). I got it run since 2 months. Everything ok.

Smoothwall is pretty good, too. The best part is your cost here is minimum. Just use one of those machines that you were going to throw away.

You can try out Tiny Personal Firewall 5.00 Server version.

Its supported on win2003 and works pretty well but be warned there is a sharp learning curve for it.

Just get yourself a hardware firewall. You don't mention if the firewall would serve to protect the LAN as well - ie. if the server is a proxy or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back