Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile11

Vendor
May 25, 2003
CA
I have XP Pro as my operating system and was just wondering if the Firewall be on at all times?

Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply but I heard that this will limit me from going into certain websites? Is that true?

I just want it on for virus protection.

The fire wall will offer some protection from hackers however, it will not prevent many viruses. For that protection you need a virus protection software such as Norton anti-virus. There are many to choose from, I just mentenioned the one that came to mind. I run Computer Associates ETrust anti-virus. Why that one you may ask. My employer requires it and supplies it.

Bottom line, a Firewall will not give you Virus protection. It only protects you from un-authorized access of your computer from mischevious programs and hackers. You really should have both a firewall and virus detection software.

etom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back