Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall exposing Inside address

Status
Not open for further replies.

khilari

Technical User
Sep 21, 2005
US
I was auditing my firewall through some utilities and i found out that my PIX is exposing internal addresses

I went to this link

and got this notice

Notice!
Our system detects your internal IP address as 10.0.1.X and your external address as [public ip]. Your internal IP should be hidden whereas your external is always exposed.

this info popped up before i began an extensive audit.

Please tell me how i can unexpose the internal IP address. Thanks,

I believe that link places a cookie on your PC, which gathers the internal IP. So it doesn't mean your firewall isn't working. It's just a clever marketing scheme.

Roland

What's ADD again?

This does not necessarily mean your firewall is malfunctioning or improperly configured. The method we used will sneak past most firewalls. Why? Because we use Java to grab the information and then pass it on to the server (Notice how everything ran without prompting you?)

how do u guys "unexpose" internal ip ?

Hi,

If you want to block Java applets such as the one used to grab your internal IP, add 'filter java 80 0 0 0 0' to your config (and 'filter activex 80 0 0 0 0' if you want to block active x components.

Regards Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back