Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall and UDP concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Issue:
Installing a program on server which hands out a key to the client to use to enable a program to run. Client's program would not run so I turned off Server firewall, then it would function. Tried enabling each "off" rule in firewall settings one at a time with firewall on and clients program wouldn't run. Found out it was using UDP to communicate to the server and get the key it needed. Called the company that made the software and found which specific port UDP was using, we will call it 9000 for reference. Set up a new rule allowing UDP on port 9000 to be let through. In these settings you can tell it which program, that's using UDP on that Port, to let through - this I cannot do. I can allow any program that queries UDP on Port 9000 through or none right now.

Question:
Is this a big security issue? Any program that queries UDP on Port 9000 would bypass my firewall. Since its on a random port, I don't think this will cause a big hole to exploit but I would like to hear others input.
Thanks

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I havent got a console in front of me, but in Windows Firewall Advanced settings, can't you specify destination and source? So you could set up a rule in bound on port UDP/9000 from a source of hostname/Ip address

Paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Yea, tried that and running it via a specific program but neither worked......

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back