Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall Advice"Black ICe 3.6"

Status
Not open for further replies.

klos81

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
US
I Have A Win2K server which is the one that controls the Internet connection and domain controller, it is on-line 24/7, i have Black Ice 3.6 running as a firewall and i couldn't complaint until a user with a mobile pc came across. Every time the user tries to connect the pc to the network the firewall doesn't allow it to get the DHCP info so i have to go and stop the BlackIce engine and then reboot the laptop. once the laptop reboots and gets the info from DHCP and DNS i start the Black Ice engine again, so my "BOSS" says that is not the way is supposed to be.
what if i'm not in the office, that user won't be able to gain access to the network.

I need a recommendation about what to do...
get a physical firewall, or get a different firewall "software".

Thanks in advance
Klos

Is this user connecting from inside or outside your firewall?

If from outside, then blocking DHCP is the correct behavior from the firewall.

If it's from inside, then you should be able to modify your firewall rules to allow communication with the server.

As a general rule, though, it is always better to have a dedicated firewall. Giving a firewall something to do besides protecting the network is not a good idea.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

yeah it is from the outside,

Blocking DHCP from the outside is the correct behavior of the firewall. The outside world has no need to contact your DHCP server.

If you have mobile users outside your network who need to use resources in your network, you probably need to look at some kind of mobile user VPN solution. Lots of companies' products support this.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

the thing is that the user doesn't belong to my domain, is just somebody that comes twice a week into the office and needs access to the internet.

ok the problem was that i needed to open two ports so the dhcp and dns would work, port udp67 and port udp68.

thanks for help
klos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back