Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall ACL question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogles49

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2012
US
Hi Everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Couldn't find a Cisco firewall forum but my question might be applicable.

I've inherited an ASA5520 and 5555. I can tell the previous person did a detailed segmentation (ACLs applied on in and out of all interfaces) of the network. Problem I have is object groups associated to the ACLs are not part of that network. I am not sure if this might be an IOS code or quite possible i just don't understand it yet.

Example, Access-list Dev permit TCP object-group Group1 object Group2 eq https where this ACL is applied to the out of the Dev interfaces. This means that Group1 should be part of that network because, (access-list permit (tcp/udp) source host/network destination host/network eq port)

In my case, Group1 is an object group for a completely different network and so does Group2. So not sure how this would impact

No nats in this case.

Help would be appreciated.

First, if you have any questions about how ASA ACLs are processed, there are a few other things you can look at:

1. hits on the ACL
2. the packet-tracer command---be sure to add the "detail" or "d" keyword at the end to get the most out of it.

I am not sure what you mean by stating that the networks in the ACL should be a part of the DEV network---no matter what, any traffic routed out that interface needs to have an entry in that DEV ACL, else it gets dropped...the ACL says to permit traffic A to traffic B on port C when going out the DEV interface---may be an important distinction to note that this is an outbound ACL, and not an inbound ACL.

/

If you can't beat 'em, try, try again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back