Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firefox works but IE6 does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2229

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
US
I just ran Auslogics to defrag my hard drive and cleanup registries. (That is probably my first mistake this week!)Since then my IE6 does not work. I get the "This Page does not Display" message.

My computer is a Dell GX260 running Win2000 with SP4. It is in an educational setting behind a firewall using a proxy.

Here is the weird thing. I have admin rights but cannot locate IE in the Remove/Add software Control Panel. My Internet Control Panel shows the correct proxy settings. I am still able to use IE to get to our Intranet which includes our ProgressBook grading system but no where else.

Firefox works just great. But when I click on a link in Outlook, it goes to IE. Also Google Earth wants to authenticate with IE, so it is worthless to me. I use Google Earth all the time in class, so this is frustrating me.

One of our tech guys came over from CO to look at it and was unable to find the problem.

I went to Microsoft to download a new version of IE6, but the when I go to Run it, it also links to IE and the install fails.

Any guesses? I'm not finding anything on the Net since most sites are blocked by our ISP.

Thanks!

Dan

Go into add/remove programs and go to windows components and see if you can get it to reload/fix IE.

OK, I'll try that in the morning. I see that on the left-hand side of my XP Home computer but don't remember seeing that at work.

I'll check and get back to you.

Thanks!

Dan

You may be able to find a re-distributable IE6 installer somewhere on the Microsoft website (or elsewhere on the web), or failing that you could try IE7 or IE8 and see how far it takes you. I would definitely say that a re-install of some kind is your easiest and possibly quickest option. If you have your original Windows install CD you might try running it and choosing the Repair option if available.

Btw, you could also try Dial-a-fix (google for it), you may need your original Windows install CD for the files but Dial-a-fix has an option to re-install various system components including IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back