Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firefox - Unresponsive Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
All of a sudden, I have customers telling me that their Firefox is hanging and acting poorly giving the "unresponsive plugin" message and hanging their computer. I am not having the problem with Firefox. Some users are on Windows 7 and some are on Windows 10.

I gave them the advice about disabling hardware acceleration and disabling protected mode in Flash. Have not heard back yet. Any other advice? I can't seem to find much about others having the same issue in the last few days in particular.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Without knowing exactly what plugin is unresponsive there is no practical advice possible, other than "disable that plugin".

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I'm pretty sure it's Flash causing the issue, but somebody has to have a fix (Adobe, Firefox) unless it's a recent Microsoft update (not likely) OR a video card driver issue. I'm asking the customers what video cards they have at the moment.

No hints in the error message? Have you checked the event logs?

If it seems to happen when visiting a specific site, have them try disabling all plugins and visit. Then reenable one and visit. One more and visit. See if you can find it experimentally.

If you suspect Flash, do a manual upgrade of Flash to the latest version.

These are just general troubleshooting.

No hints in the error message.
Flash is up to date.

Are you talking about looking in the Windows Event Viewer or somewhere else?

Yeah, sometimes there's a hint in the Windows event logs. Either Application or System usually. It's also usually pretty obscure, and needing Google to figure out what it's saying. Just try to reproduce the freeze, then check the logs.

I would also look to see if FireFox has a debug mode, verbose mode, or anything like that.

The problem is that I'm not on site with these computers. I was trying to come up with some advice to give the people, but I'm not getting any real results from anywhere as a possible solutions.

Everybody is now telling me "problem gone", like magic. Very strange.

Probably a remote website problem in that case.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

All three users hitting the same site? That would be odd unless it was something like Google, in which case more people would be complaining, wouldn't you think.

No, all using the same plugin, Last Pass has been giving me 'network errors' for the past week.

They could be using something like AdBlock plus and a server just happened to be down

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

I just recently got a bunch of Flash updates on several systems. If they're set to auto-update, maybe Adobe fixed it for you.

While the problem was happening the Flash versions WERE up to date (22.0.0.209) on customer PCs and mine. Same as right now - no changes. I don't know, these computers are so confounding.

Plus, it's MY fault for telling everyone to use Firefox a few years ago and people actually did it.

these computers are so confounding.
Fulfilling their purpose in life then. [pc]

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back