Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firefox target=_blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfender

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
GB
I've noticed an annoying thing that happens with Mozilla Firefox and the Tab Preferences extension set to open links in a new tab. I have a popup window that is fixed in size and contains links to outside sources. When i set target=_blank it opens it in a new tab since that is what the preferences are set to. I'm wondering if there's any work around to this because it opens a new tab in the fixed size window so the content of the outside website is cutoff.

Thanks.

HTML is used to display information on the websites not control client's browser. You can try using javascript's window.open to make sure it opens in the new window but for users without JS, target="_blank" will have to do. I suggest you code in a way that opening the link in a tab will no break your layout.

Thanks for the thought, I'm trying to think of ways to not break my layout but I think you're right that javascript will have to be used.

It's not just FF that does that. I use a tabbed version of IE called SlimBrowser and get the same behavior. The problem is that "_blank" is supposed to open a new browser window, so the browser opens a new tab, just like it's supposed to. I'd try Vragabond's suggestion of using window.open and see it that does what you want.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back