Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firefox not blocking script like IE and Chrome 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

userMikeD

Programmer
Nov 5, 2008
US
I need to include an external javascript file, but if it takes over 2 seconds, I want to remove it and block it from running. The following code successfully removes and block the external script from running in IE and Chrome, but not Firefox.

Note: jQuery dependency
Code:
var gTimeout, gScript;

$(function() {
	alert("Static page fully loaded. Adding server script.");
	loadScript("[URL unfurl="true"]http://server/script.js",[/URL] afterLoad);
	gTimeout = setTimeout("destroyScript()", 2000);
});

function loadScript(url, callback){
	gScript = document.createElement("script");
	gScript.type = "text/javascript";
	gScript.id = "externalScript";

if (gScript.readyState) {  //IE
		gScript.onreadystatechange = function() {
			if (gScript.readyState == "loaded" || gScript.readyState == "complete") {
				clearTimeout(gTimeout);
				gScript.onreadystatechange = null;
				callback();
			}
		};
	} else {  //Others
		gScript.onload = function() {
			clearTimeout(gTimeout);
			callback();
		};
	}

gScript.src = url;
	document.documentElement.insertBefore(gScript, document.documentElement.firstChild);
}

function afterLoad() {
	clearTimeout(gTimeout);
}

function destroyScript() {
	gScript = null;
	$("#externalScript").remove();
	alert("Script took too long and was removed");
}

Any idea why the external script still runs in Firefox, even after I reset the variable and remove it from the DOM? Thanks for the help!

As a complete stab in the dark, perhaps it's the "onload" part not working for Firefox.

As you're using jQuery, why not use the pre-made "getScript" method instead of your "loadScript" one? It allows for a callback, so you should be fine there, and it'll cut your code down.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Yeah, I looked into the jQuery getScript before putting this together, but I don't know how to "kill" the external script if it takes too long. I thought if I added the script element myself, I'd have more control over removing it after the time expired. Any other ideas? Thanks again for the help.

If you drag out the guts of the getScript function (basically a call to jQuery.ajax), then you can use the "timeout" option as documented here:

Code:
jQuery.ajax({
	type: "GET",
	url: [!]'url goes here'[/!],
	data: null,
	success: [!]callback goes here[/!],
	dataType: "script",
	timeout: 2000	// Timeout in milliseconds
});

I've no idea what jQuery does if the request times out (never tried it), but I imagine it terminates or ignores it.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Thanks Dan. This works if I'm on the same domain, but what about when the script is coming from another source? I'm trying to prevent a third party script from hanging and making the page look like it's not done loading.

Apologies... I seem to have given you a bum steer, as the timeout option is not available when including remote scripts.

What happens if you use "delete gScript" instead of "gScript = null" in your "destroyScript" function?

no worries, it was worth a shot. I appreciate the help. I added "delete gScript;" but firefox still continues to fetch the script and allows it to run. Any other ideas on how to stop a this script? Is it impossible in Firefox? Thanks again for the help!

You could potentially use AJAX with a timeout if you went via a server-side proxy to fetch the script. Is this an option for you?

Dan

Hmm... having said that, a simpler way might be to stop your code from running explicitly as soon as the JS file is loaded, instead manually instigating the call only if 2 seconds (or however long) have not elapsed.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I think that's exactly what I'll do. If the remote code is wrapped in a function, then I will call the function on my side if it hasn't "timed out". I wish I had control to actually stop the request, but this should do the trick. Thanks again for the advice and thought. I really appreciate it!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back