Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FireFox Browser Vs IE 6.0 As Default Browser 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieViper

Technical User
Apr 28, 2004
US
I hope this is not a dumb question. I use win xp home edition with IE 6.0, and I have also downloaded FireFox's latest version. In my opinion FireFox beats IE 6.0 hands down in performance, speed etc. My question/request for help is: Because a lot of software is dependent on IE 6.0 in order to operate, is it possible to re-configure my system so all programs would be dependent on FireFox Browser instead? The speed of FireFox is unbelievable, and pages just load so much faster when surfing the web. I even tried the IE repair program to make sure there was not a problem, still FireFox is awesome compared side by side, only my opinion. And feedback would sincerely be appreciated. Thank you.

THe most important thing is to ensure that Firefox is the default app for loading htm & html pagese. That's about the simplest way to start. The next thing to do is to watch what programs open IE to browse the Web and then work with their settings to make them use Firefox instead.

Unfortunately there is a fly in the ointment and that is caused by lazy web site developers who only code for IE. Hence you will still need to keep IE around. Mozilla 8 supports the Gecko & Trident rendering engines so that might enable us to have only one browser open at a time - wait and see.

I use Firefox predominantly and IE when I need to. They can coexist quite happily.

i have FF & IE loaded on one of my machines and have had my kids, wife and myself use it - just to compare them.

my resluts are that FF still has some short comings, such as:

FF does not work with some secure sites

FF is not recognized as a "valid" browser by some government sites (State and Federal)

FF cannot be used to update MS apps, install patches/updates, or most other MS downloads.

other than that it seems on par with IE.

as for IE:
with proper firewall, virus detection and current updates IE works fine.

FF will probably go the same route as IE with updates/patches so it comes down to personal preference to me.

I have used Opera as my default browser for a while now, it can "emulate" IE and Mozilla flavors, IE: tell the web site that it is IE, not Opera. I now use the latest Beta version, which is very stable and fast. There are very few sites that don't work. Those I use IE. I have loaded the latest Firefox and it has features that beat IE hands down but ones I have gotten used to with Opera so I have no motivation to switch to Firefox. My advice: pick an non IE browser, use it until you find a web site that does not work, then use IE for that one only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back