Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIOS VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

annacat

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
I just had FIOS installed with an Actiontech MI424-WR router from Verizon. I am trying to setup a VPN connection to my office. Verizon says that they don't support VPN but you can set it up... I am not sure if I need to remove their router (which they say will not allow some of the TV/DVR functions to work) or if I can install one behind theirs. Any help from someone who has set this up would be appreciated.

Hi,

I have FiOS and configured a VPN to my office. I use the Netscreen Firewall that sits behind the FiOS Router. I also tried our two VPN clients, they work as well. So, you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Rgds,

John

What VPNs does Verizon not support? I have heard this about certain ISP's...I know AT&T does in fact support VPN traffic travelling through their connections...

Burt

Hi,

I think the Verizon Tech meant that don't "support" it as in you can't ask for support through the Help Desk. If they were filtering VPN traffic, IP Protocol 50 would be blocked and I would have ran into trouble setting mine up. You should be all set. What kind of VPN are you trying to setup?

Rgds,

John

So what type of VPN Connection are you trying to set up? We definitely need the specifics, such as are you trying to set up a client tunnel (one from your computer using a specific client, such as the Cisco client or Nortel client), a branch office (or site-to-site) tunnel etc.

In general, many client-type VPN connections can be behind a NAT device, but you will find it much more complicated to set up a branch office tunnel behind a NAT device.

That is true, Steve, but, for example with Cisco routers acting as the VPN server, there may be available NAT-Transversal (reverse-route) to overcome this.

Burt

Hence my statement that in general, many client-type VPN connections can be behind a NAT device (since, in my experience, most major vendors support client NAT-traversal or transparency). However, branch office (or site-to-site) tunnel NAT-traversal is rarely seen.

I don't follow what you mean when you tack (reverse route) onto the end of NAT-traversal.

That is the command in Cisco routers for NAT transversal.

Burt

I'm sorry burtsbees, but that has nothing to do with NAT traversal (or NAT-transparency in the Cisco nomenclature)

I know---that's why I posted the last post. I thought that IPSec VPN's sometimes had problems with the packets getting back out of the VPN router because IPSec and NAT don't jive too well with eachother. I also thought RRI can fix this, but apparently I'm wrong. I admit I do get a bit carried away with posting sometimes, and I take when I am wrong as a learning experience. I hope I did not wrongfully post and irritate anyone---that is not what I come in here to do. Thanks for the info.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back