Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finially got my new server - now what? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneMadCoder

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2008
I was able to finally convince my boss that a new box was needed. So I just received a new (and pretty powerful box) but it has Windows Server 2008 standard.

Our current server is running Windows SBS 2003 Exchange server. All I want to do is move the MySQL, MSSQL, Flash Media Server,ect... services over to the new box and leave the current server for nothing but AD and exchange and vpn.

QUESTIONS:

1.) Where do I start
2.) Will I possibly run in to any conflicts
3.) What are the pro v. cons with 2008 svr

Congratulations!

has all the answers...as we've all mentioned in replies to your last few posts. It's the de facto standard way to migrate to a new server. Check it out!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Hold on Tony... Swingmigration is not for this scenario. He's just adding a new member server to run apps and databases on. This isn't really an SBS question, it's more of a SQL/MySQL/Flash question.

You'll want to join the new server to the SBS domain. You'll want to install MySQL and SQL and Flash server on your new server. Then you're going to want to use Enterprise Manager to move your SQL databases. Use the MySQL admin tools to export and import your MySQL databases and who knows what to move your flash content. You'll need to reconfigure your apps to point to a new servername to get MySQL and SQL data...

And that's just flying pretty high over the scene. Each one of those tasks might require you to do some research or to post in the appropriate forum to solve specific issues.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks for the clarification Dave...sorry OneMadCoder about misinterpreting your question.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Getting started today. Thanks for the great advice shackelford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back