Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding values in a range of cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulicki

Technical User
Oct 24, 2001
US
Hi,

Using Excel 9.0.

I have 2 columns of cells about 35,000 rows each. The data in the cells is text. I need to compare the columns to each other. I need to determine values in column A that are not in column B and vice versa. I was using vlookup and match to do this and then auto filter my results. It works but it is so slow. It is taking like 10 minutes for the calculation. I have a pretty good PC (pentium 3, 500MB ram), so I do not think that is the problem. There will only be may up to 100 entries that do not have a match.

So is there a quicker way to achieve my goal?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

I ran as quik 'n' dirty on about 40k rows using the MATCH function and it returned results in an instant.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

Thanks,

I tried running for numbers and it goes about 10 times faster, although it still takes about a minute or two. Maybe it is my version of Excel or my PC. My processor is maxed when this function is run.

Mike

Skip,

Did you match with zero, i.e. match(m5,$c$5:$c$35250,0)?

When I use match(m5,$c$5:$c$35250,1) it goes quick, but not with zero.

Mike

Using ZERO is EXACT MATCH.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

Yes I know.

However please note that I am comparing 2 columns of 35,000 rows. I line the columns up and in the first row of a third column, I put the formulas in (see above). I then auto fill the rest of my rows and this is what is taking a long time.

Thanks for responding,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back