Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the right router or solution for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gupone

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
Ok, I am a bit dence today so let ask for everyones help.

Here is what I am wanting to do. I have 1(one) Windows 2000 advance server OS, Server(Box) set up. I am running IIS 5.0 I have set up 3 different web sites on it. with 3 different domain names. I have set up my DNS addresses with my domain register company who is letting me use their DNS severs to translate my Domain names into the Static IP addresses I will set up on my 1 server for each website. I need a router, switch or any type of hardware that will direct the static IP that are associated with my domain names to the specific website I have set up in IIS 5.0

Right now I am using the wireless Linksys Router that I will still use for my internal network and wireless systems. I have it set up with one of my 5 static IPs that I got from my ISP and have each one of my networked systems set up with a individual LAN IP address. If I wanted to put the server on this same network with the Linksys, I would have to give the server a LAN IP address and open the verious ports for that IP address. So when someone on the outside typed in it would be directed to my static IP I put in the router settings and then the router would route it to my server LAN IP address I opened the port 80 on.

The problem is that this will only work for one website and not multiple. I want my server to be a stand alone server, and not on my local network. I just want to use it to host websites. I am needing something that would route the static IPs when some one types in or I have the 5 IPs and would like to use them. I know I can use 1 Static IP under IIS 5.0 and set up virtual sites, but since I have the other IPs, why not use them...

This is the long and short of it.

Thanks again,

Gup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back