Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the Closest match in access query

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessHelp123

Programmer
Apr 27, 2005
US

Hi,

I am trying to write a query which will update a Field table1.Cell_Id finding the closest match for table1.Text1 in table2.text1 and then updating table1.Cell_Id with table2.Cell_Id.

I tried using the LIKE statement but it updated about 3 values. I have hundreds of records to update. Can anyone please help. Thanks.

What is a closest match for you ? vague logic ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PH,

The value in table1.Text1 and table2.Text2 is of the form 09:58:23.31 which is time. But it is in the database as a text value. so what I am really trying to find is closest value(time)in table1 to the value(time) in table2 and update the value table1.Cell_Id from table2.Cell_Id.

As noted by PHV, you need some more specificity in what you mean by "close". It is simplistic to convert the string representation of the time to a numeric:

Code:
? cdbl(((9 * 60. * 60) + (58 * 60) + 23 + 0.31) / 8640)

? Format(cdbl(((9 * 60. * 60) + (58 * 60) + 23 + 0.31) / 86400), "hh:nn:ss")
09:58:23
as (briefly) illustrated

There are several procedures posted herein (Tek-Tops) which also illustrate the use of a ParamArray in finding the min (or max or other aggregate functions) of a set of values. I would presume to advise you to review some several of these with the perspective of modifying one to moreclosely suit your particular situation.

MichaelRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back