Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the autonumber field

Status
Not open for further replies.

emozley

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
GB
Apologies I suspect this question has been asked before but I have yet to find a satisfactory answer.

With an MS Access/ASP combination what is the best way to insert a record and then get the autonumber value? The way I am doing it at the moment is to add the record then do a select all and order by ID DESC then assume the first record in the recordset is the last one added. As well as being a bit inefficient I am not sure if it is totally foolproof especially if the database is being used by a lot of people.

Would it be possible to create a recordset, then write that recordset then get the ID field before closing the recordset?

cheers!

Ed

<%

Set DB = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set TBL = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

DB.Mode = adModeReadWrite
DB.Open ("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=" + Server.MapPath("../directory/userdb.mdb"))

Title=Request.QueryString("Title")
AuthorID=Request.QueryString("AuthorID")
DocsDate=Request.QueryString("DocsDate")
FilePath=Request.QueryString("FilePath")

TBL.Open "INSERT INTO DocsMaster (Title, AuthorID, DocsDate, FilePath) VALUES ('" & Title & "', '" & AuthorID & "', '" & DocsDate & "', '" & FilePath & "')", DB

TBL.Open "SELECT * FROM DocsMaster ORDER BY DocID DESC", DB
DocID=TBL("DocID")
TBL.Close

Set TBL=Nothing
Set DB=Nothing

URL="adddoc2.asp?DocID=" & DocID

Response.Redirect(URL)

%>

It is (much) less efficient, but you can open a recordset to your table and:
Code:
'add a new row
MyRecordset.AddNew

'set the values for the new row
MyRecordset("myfield") = "a"
MyRecordset("myotherfield") = "blah"

'force it to send the updates back
MyRecordset.Update

'read the value from the updated row
Response.Write "New Id Is: " & MyRecordset("idfield")

-T

barcode_1.gif

emozley, try it something like the code below. I modified my existing code to be more like yours. It may work but I have not tested it.
The approach is simply to set a new object and use the open DB connection to execute the SELECT @@Identity command which will return the newly created autonumber value.

Code:
<%
Title=Request.QueryString("Title")
AuthorID=Request.QueryString("AuthorID")
DocsDate=Request.QueryString("DocsDate")
FilePath=Request.QueryString("FilePath")

Set DB = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
  DB.Open ("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=" + Server.MapPath("../directory/userdb.mdb"))
    mySQL = "INSERT INTO DocsMaster (Title, AuthorID, DocsDate, FilePath) VALUES ('" & Title & "', '" & AuthorID & "', '" & DocsDate & "', '" & FilePath & "')"
    DB.Execute mySQL

Set rsNewID = DB.Execute("SELECT @@IDENTITY") ' Create a recordset and SELECT the new Identity
      DocID = rsNewID(0) ' Store the value of the new identity in variable DocID
    rsNewID.Close
    Set rsNewID = Nothing
  DB.Close
  Set DB = Nothing

URL="adddoc2.asp?DocID=" & DocID
Response.Redirect(URL)
%>

It's hard to think outside the box when I'm trapped in a cubicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back