Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I have been tasked with finding all the services (some we created for others to use and some others created for us to use) used by this company and documenting them. They could be on any of our servers or, I guess, workstations.

Someone had been doing this, but he left the company several months ago. I've looked at his documentation and tried to find the matching files. Some of these files have been found, but the offer no insight into how to approach this problem.

Is there any way a vbscript could be written to go out and find files that are services? Are there any suggestions about how to approach this problem?

Define "services". What do you mean by that? That's very vague.
Servers
Applications
Web Servers
Mapped Drives
Databases

It doesn't to me, so that's why I asked. $5 cyber bet it's not services.msc they are talking about.

I have no idea. The whole instruction was very vague and when I asked for clarification, the answer was just as vague. One person suggested going to IIS, taking a screen shot and sending a copy of it to everyone and ask which ones they use and how they work. I don't think this is it because the services for which I have documentation aren't found in IIS.

I agree with the other responders, what does the Boss mean by "services" are they MS Windows services or something homegrown that the Boss refers to as services.

If you can determine what the request means, the answer should be easy.

Sam

We can't answer a question that isn't specific enough to help you and if you answer the wrong question, your boss will wonder what your problem is.

I'm almost guessing that your boss is clueless and is just doing this as a CYA on his part. Is he the non-IT person type of boss or does he have a clue about IT stuff? Better to nag him about what he's looking for than return with some useless information.

One person suggested going to IIS, taking a screen shot and sending a copy of it to everyone and ask which ones they use and how they work.
This, to me, shows that you have some web-based applications that your users use???? Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back