Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding script 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoncpage

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
GB
Hi all,

When you do a search in filemaker it automatically does a search after you press enter in a field. Is there any way of after it performs a search to direct it to a different layout. I have it with a find button besides the fields (which does this) but its too simple to simply press enter and you dont get a nice listing of all the searches.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Simon

Hey lebisol

I don't see how that helps me? What I am ideally looking to do is to stop the enter being used when in search mode to find.

The way I have it setup is that is a layout with all the search fields and when you click on find it goes to this page and then you enter in which ever field you want the search string. So for instance you would type smith in the surname field. After you press enter you are given one search found but then to get the list I have added a "full results" button which then directs to a listing. So what I want to know is is there anyway to stop them from using enter? or can I somehow direct to the layout from pressing enter??

Do you get my problem?

Simon

hmm not quite....

I am not sure u can prevent the Enter function asusers can use key strokes to enter back in Find mode...
my guess is u would have to script the search :
--------------------------------------
-Enter find mode
-GO to field(on the form)
-pause
(give a user change to type something...notice the script is pause and if they do hit enter ...well then they simply "continue" and go to the next step for you...)

-Peform find
-Enter Browse Mode....
-Go to layout.....
---------------------------------------

HTH
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

The solution is to Toggle Status Area (off). The Enter key no longer executes the simple find. It will sometimes execute a button but I've not had the time to work out which button. Now I think about it, I might have worked it out.
I have an application with a lot of scripts which end at a layout with -
Pause/Resume Script
Perform Script (Go back home)
A 'Return' or 'Finished' button is set to 'Resume Script'.
Hitting the Enter key is enough to override the Pause.
In your case
Enter Find Mode (Pause)
[user enters data and hits Enter OR clicks on
'Findit' button set to 'Resume Script']
Perform Find
will achieve your objective.

Cheers,
Paul J.

nice one Paul!
thanx for sharing!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::