Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding owner of files for Quota puropses

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjwalker

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2005
GB
I run win 2k3 SP1 with AD.

This is a school so its hard to control who does what.

Each user has an area that they save to and there is an area that is for everyone and an area for staff use.

I have taken ownership of the staff and everyone areas but I have most of my users that have over 100Mb in their quota entries but only 50 or 60mb in their home directory.

My question: how can I collate a list of who owns what on the network?

Thanks

Hi

You have to give quota for the appropriate users. When you give quotas to one user you have to define this on the folder for everyone(have to bee system volume). This is done on the local disk. And you can deny whom use more than 100MB. All this is done in the Quota entries. or on the local disk quotas.

kind regards
Ali

I understand how quotas all work.

I want to search a drive for who owns what. As far as I can work out, some files are copied between users and the ownership is still set for each file that was copied by its original owner.

The other option is to right click each users folder and assign ownership to all folders and files to the user that is supposed to own the folder. This is a silly way around it.

If the person who I took over set the system properly in the first place, I would not be in this mess. Students are getting away with having 2gb of music in their home drive for instance.

This may be of use to you, ever use fsutil? try this on the quota volume:

fsutil file findbysid scottb g:\

Only variables in that statement are the user name <scottb> and the quota volume <g:\>

Hope this helps,

RoadKi11

The amount used by one user, who is my test item, is 203Mb but he only has 77Mb in his home area.

I just did a test on a live student account and this also happens where they have some files somewhere.

The FSutil thing only showed files in their own area as belonging to them.

I've come across this issue in colleges that I've setup and the best way i found to deal with this situation was to move shared folders to another volume. This way the only area that students can write to on the restricted volume is their home folder.

Alternatively you can upgrade the file server to R2 it's very cheap for education and the space manager can be managed at the share level.

I know this doesn't help your current problem but it's worth thinking about for the future.

On your current problem you could try using Access Enum as it will tell you who has permissions to what files, this might give you a clue who the owner is as well.

I have thought about this option.

Looks very good. Waiting for pricing now. Believe this: I asked some suppliers, they have never heard of 2k3 R2 and others say a release candidate is for testing only! They all do not know what I am going on about. Surprised that M$ have not sent emails to all microsoft resellers about this product.

Thanks.

Yep i've enquired on more than one occasion and was told that the media pack was unavailable to education but would be soon.

I was told the price would be approx £70 so it's still dirt cheap for edu and your 2k3 CAL's are still ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back