Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding out the number of worthless files backed up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasim0dem

Technical User
Feb 23, 2007
US
Recently we've been having some space issues on some of our servers and i've been tasked with finding out ways to report on the number of mp3 files, and the like that we backup. I was able to list out everything backed up with the nsrinfo file but is there a way to filter out or even count the number of specific files being backed up?

Thanx

QM

Hi,

I take it your on a Windows box? In that case, you can pipe the result to find. Something like:

nsrinfo -? ?? ?? ?? | find ".mp3" /I

Should list only the lines containing .mp3 or .MP3. If you want the nr of lines you can add /C

If you're on Linux or UNIX, you could use grep and wc instead.

That worked great, I wasn't aware of the find command. Thank you. Now for unexpected results, is there a way to run this against a legato master server for all the clients? (one of my master servers has over 100 clients.)

Yes, it is possible. It would take some scripting though since you by now know that nsrinfo only performs one client at a time. So, you would have to start with extracting all the client names and then their last full backup. When you have that you need to pass that along to nsrinfo.

You can use the for command to loop through a textfile to do all that work for you, but I would rather suggest doing it in PERL or equivalent if you want it totally automated. Either way, it will take you some time I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back