Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding out how a view was constructed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

meumax

Programmer
Apr 13, 2002
AU
If someone else has created a view in Oracle, how can I find out how it was put together? Specifically, I want to know what was the SQL statement used as the basis for the view or failing that, what tables each of the fields in the view comes from.

Using the describe command gives me the fields in the view, but tells me nothing of where those fields come from or the selection criteria used for the view.

select text from user_views where view_name = 'MYVIEW'; I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

ORACLE's schema manager lets you choice the schema in which the view is created and just clicking the view in the list will display the SQL that constitues it. As far as I know schema manager is part of enterprise manager and can be installed as part of the server installation.......... T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back