Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding numbers in strings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello, I must find the elements in a table where an alfanumeric field has just numbers within. In other words, detect the strings formed only by numbers.

String and conversion functions are very depending on the Database - what are you working with ? Dickie Bird
db@dickiebird.freeserve.co.uk

Since Oracle does automatic casting (to a point), you might try, for a field length of 5, the following:

where col1 between 00000 and 99999.

Of course, you may have to justify right, or left, either way count on being busy this weekend.

AA 8~)

angiole, thanks, I've tried your sugestion, with the following query:

select * from table where lpad(col1, 7, 0) between '0000000' and '9999999'

but it didn't work, and I must put the ' in the values. The field length is variable, then I choose the max value (7) to justify the string. But all the strings with a length < 7 are showed. Any other ideas?

SQL> select * from test;

X
-------
quack5
moo

select * from test
where
translate(x,'1234567890abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',
'1234567890') = x;

X
-------

I think Carp is on the right track, but his suggestion won't work if the data contains other characters in addition to letters and numbers. A more general approach is

select * from your_table where ltrim(your_column,'0123456789') is null;

The ltrim eliminates all leading numeric digits from the data. If all that is left is a null string, you know that you started with an all numeric string.

This method probably also works if by &quot;numbers&quot; you mean numeric strings that contain a decimal point. It looks as if you can just add the extra valid character to the ltrim:

select * from your_table where ltrim(your_column,'0123456789.') is null;

Thank you all, people! Your query solved my question perfectly, karluk.

Actually, on second thought you have to be careful with decimal points. If you allow them, you also have to check that there is at most one in the string. E.g. &quot;1.5&quot; is numeric, but &quot;1.2.3&quot; is not. There appear to be several strategies that would deal with this issue, but I won't pursue it unless you need a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back