Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding my Trusted Upsteam Mail Relay for Exchange/PureMessage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeTuk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2009
GB
Hi guys,

Just installing Sophos PureMessage on a new Exchange, how do I find out my Trusted Upstream Mail Relay?

I currently have an MX Record at Fasthosts which points the old Exchange 2003 server site. However I will be changing the MX Record shortly to point at our new server and would like to setup PureMessage properly and it is asking for a Trusted Upstream Mail Relay, how would I find this out? Is it Fasthosts?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, it is fasthosts. They will tell you the exact FQDN - like smtp.fasthosts.net or similar.

Thank you Zelandakh I will phone them now.

I had this exact same question and I asked Sophos Technical support. The response I got was as follows:

If you have a direct SMTP feed to your server you will not have any upstream trusted relays (in the case of an MX record pointing to your server).

For mail to be sent to your exchange server, direct TCP connections will be made from sending SMTP clients and there will not be a common "trusted" server inbetween that TCP connection.

You would only need to setup the trusted upstram relay if you have multiple servers in your Exchange organisation, where mail is relayed from one to the other (hence updating the Received: headers) until it reaches the mailbox server for the local user or if all external mail is delivered to an SMTP server and that one SMTP server then delivers all mail to you directly.

Shaun

Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back