Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Management port

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hey everyone, I am a bit of a merlin newbie.... I am working on a Release 3 processor with a bunch of MLX 10's and a single MLX 20. The problem is theat the MLX 20, ext 100, 1st port, doesn't offer me the ability to log into the system to make programming changes. I read in the manual that the management port can be reprogrammed to a handful of other prots, but how do I find out which one it is? There are 4 MLX cards and some 12 port ATA cards.

Thanks for the help!

Try the 1st or 5th port on the first 3 cards. If you have access to spm you can do it there also.

Any ONE of the 1st 5 MLX or TDL ports can be the programming port.

Yes, you do have to use an MLX-20 to do the programming, but NO, the MLX-20 doesn't have to be plugged in to that port all the time, only when you want to do some programming.

Thus, by keeping say and MLX-10 set -plugged in to that port, no one can inadvertently make programming changes.

A small bit of security can be had this way.

If you have SPM and connect to the system via modem or direct, and print or display System Information you will see below the CTI Links designation, the Operator types and Sys Programming Port by station number listed.

Alot of folks don't realize all this stuff is right there!

....JIM....

if your going to use WinSPM, why bother with the 20L set...
It keeps the customer out of the system and security is not
an issue, plus a backup of the transaltion can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back