Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Links in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberH

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
CA
Hello,
For some reason an Excel workbook that I've been using for a while, now gives a message when it opens, saying that this workboook contains links to another workbook, and do I want to update them. I should have no links to any outside books...is there some way I can trace where the links are? The workbook has quite a few sheets, with tons of data, so simply looking for it is getting me nowhere.
Thanks,
amber

Hi,

Just select Links under the Edit menu and click 'Break link'.

amberH - if you still cannot find the links, then post back. I have an excel add-in which may be able to help you.

A couple of things you can try. 1) Select all sheets, then do a Find for xls. This should track down externally referenced sheets in formulae.

2) Look at names (Insert - Name - Define). I've found that this is a good place for links to other sheets to hide without detection!

Hi again,
Thanks, highlighting all sheets and doing a search found the links.
Now my problem is this:
They refer to another workbook that isn't open.
If I try to delete the references in the cells I get an error message saying the sheet is protected, but it isn't protected...
Another interesting this is that the workbook is a template, and when I open it, in the bar along the top of the Excel window, it says the file name, with [Group] following it...I've never seen this before.
What have I done?? I have no idea where these links came from...and I can't get them to go away!
Help!
amber

The [Group] in the title bar is to remind you that you have a number of sheets selected.

When you find an external linked formula using the method described, you need to make sure you only have the one sheet selected when you go to delete it, otherwise you will delete the contents from that cell on every sheet! This can, as you might imagine, be disastrous.

So - beware of what editing & changes you make when you see [Group] in the header.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back