Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding key for newly created record

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugly

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
GB
When I double click on a record within my data sub sheet form a duplicate record is created. Access seems to allocate a new (auto number) for the key of the new record. I need to get hold of that key for the newly created record. In order that I can connect table units to another related table.

Private Sub unitKey_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

sSQL = "INSERT INTO units(unit)" & _
" VALUES('" & unit & "');"
DoCmd.RunSQL sSQL
End Sub

Thanks Remou
If I use "me.nameofunitkey" it returns the id of the record that I am copying from, I guess I could increment this by one to get the id of the new record, but is there a better way, I am doing this via an insert statement so I do not have a reference to the new record to retreive its id.

What about this ?
newID = DLookUp("@@Identity","units")

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for the help the problem remains that this code returns the id of the unit that I am copying from – I want to obtain the id of the newly created unit? I should mention that unit appears as a subform of another form so that when the new record is created it does not appear since it is unassociated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back