Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Item In Long Drop Down List

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDL

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
We have many applications that require the user to select someones name from a phonebook.... There are 3000 in the phonebook. By hitting the first letter, the dropdown goes to the first entry with that letter.... gets us close!

Anyway where we could enter the first 2-3 letters of the name and go to that location in the dropdown list?

<SELECT Name=&quot;LastNAme&quot;>
<CFOUTPUT Query=&quot;Lookup&quot;>
<OPTION VAlue=&quot;#ID#&quot;>#Lastname#, #FirstNAme#</OPTION>
</SELECT>

i don't think you can type the second letter without some really really complex javascript to intercept the keypress

here's an alternate strategy -- instead of one humungous dropdown, have two, one to pick the first letter, and a second which will display all the entries starting with the letter picked

example here:

rudy

The standard Windows behavior is for the user to type the first letter again and the dropdown should move down to the next entry starting with that letter, and so on.

Might get you closer.

I'm with Rudy, though... if you have 3000 names, good usability theory suggests that a dropdown is not the proper UI element to use.

Maybe something like those old mechanical phone books, where you slid the lever to the letter you desired, pressed the button, and the book opened to that letter, where you could then browse through all the names that began with that letter.
Just list your letters across the top or down the side of your page as links, then change the query that populates your dropdown based on the letter they picked.

Hope it helps,
-Carl

Duh.

I just noticed that that's exactly what they did in the first example Rudy pointed to.

Geez... time for me to go to bed, apparently.
Hope it helps,
-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back