Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarcna

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2006
US
I have a device connected to a 2950 switch, it has a static IP address. I need to know which port this device is connected too. Is there a command that would let me see what IP's are on what ports. I do not know the MAC address. Again it is a Static IP, not DHCP. Thanks for your help.

If you're connected to other Cisco equipment, cdp should be running by default so use the following: "show cdp neighbors" for what ports are connected to other devices and either "show cdp neighbors detail" or "show cdp entry *" to see IP addresses of the neighboring devices.

The IP address on the 2950 has nothing to do with moving traffic through the switch. The IP address only represents the switch for Layer 3 connectivity just as a regular host/node on a single network. Usually the address is associated with a management network or VLAN, which by default is VLAN 1. All ports on the switch start out as members of VLAN 1 unless you've changed that.

HTH

What I've done to find the ip address is if you know the interface the device is on get the mac address:
show mac-address-table interface fast 0/xx
Copy the mac address of the devic.

Then connect to the router for the default gateway, and look at the arp table using the "| include" option
"show arp | include "paste mac address here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back