Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding IP address on W2K 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me how I can find the IP address of my computer that goes out to the Internet. I get my address dynamically from a router but it is a network address of 192.168.0.105. I need to access my home computer remotely and I don't know the address of my box, would I have to go through the router's IP? Any tips are appreciated
thanks
Ryan

There are lots of ways, I have a shortcut to this address, try it:
The formal and best answer is to explore the often free DDNS servers available. Do a Google search on DDNS services. It requires a modest amount of configuration on you part.

But my best advice: never turn off the modem. You could hold the same dynamic IP for months if not years.

hello,

Go to the dos command box. "start" ---> "run" .
The type ipconfig /all. Then you get your ipsettings for your netword card?

Hello, I went to the shortcut that you gave me and it did give me an ip address, but I went into the couter configurations and the ip that it gave me is the ip address of my router, will I be able to access my computer with the routers IP? Thanks
Ryan

Ryan,

Do you mean you access the internet over the LAN - that you have a router at home? If so, your machine will not have an external IP address - but you should be able to configure the router to put your machine in the router's DMZ - which will effectively give it an external address.

You need to forward ports when behind a NAT router.

If you explain what software you are trying to use to do remote access, it will simplify things in answering your question.

But here is a description of the general problem:

. You need to obtain the Public IP of the WAN interface that hosts the computer you want to connect to. The link I gave you above will reveal this for your Home machine; using DDNS as a long-term solution is advised.

. If your Home machine is not behind a router, then this is all the information you need from that device EXCEPT that your firewall software (if used) needs to allow traffic from the remote computer to pass-through. Again, you need to specify the program you want to use.

. On your Office computer behind a NAT router, you need to create port forwarding entries. This is very much software specific. But the general notion is simple: create in the router setup pages a port forwarding entry so that when traffic appears on a specific port it is directed to your LAN IP (the 192.168.x.x) stuff.

. If you are using DHCP on the Office LAN, you might ask the IT guys to create both the port forwarding entries and to give you a Static IP address. This can simnplify things a great deal.

So, what software are you intending to use for this remote connection?

I was just going to use whatever came with Windows 2000, probably going to Telnet in if that is possible
Ryan

Win2k does not provide natively what you need. There are some excellent Third-Party tools, PC Anywhere is often mentioned.

In your situation you should first look at VCN solutions. This is open source software (in the main) and just simply works.

Google VCN remote access software, as there are several choices of the client.

I guess Bill means VNC remote software
VNC (Virtual Network Computing)

SYAR,

Yes, an unfortunate type. VNC.
There are several implementations; do a Google Search. I have used both Real VNC and tightVNC with success:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back