Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding entry level IT jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick8078

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
I currently working part-time as a Network Administrator with no idea when or even if I will be brought on full-time. My question is, are there any good places to look out there for entry level IT positions? I check sites like Monster and CareerBuilder, but they do not seem to offer very many entry level IT jobs, especially in Network Administration. Also, should I be worrying about certifications right now? I was thinking about trying to get my MCSA online to make myself more attractive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most jobs get filled via social networking.
I would attend your local user groups for Cisco & other networking hardware/software to find out where people are employed. Plus find the good places to work vs. those to avoid.

Chip H.

Check out Dice.com. It's a job board basically dedicated to the tekkies!

As for certs, do you currently have any degrees? If so, I wouldn't worry about the certs right away, unless that is something you really want.
I've been in IT for over 6 years now and have not had to worry about certs. Most places care more about education rather than certs. At least in my area they do...

Most entry level positions aren't going to be sysadmin positions. They will be help desk, NOC, Operator, Client Support etc. After a year or two in the entry level position (typically) you would then be moved into a junior sysadmin position. That year or two can vary depending on the company need and your experience level, not to mention how much the bosses like you.

While a cert won't get you a job, it will put you above the people with the same qualifications that don't have a cert. I've got several certs (see my sig) and they come in handy showing that I really do know what my resume says I do, and they put me above the folks with the same experience (or even more experience) who don't have the certs.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Get out there and meet people. Find professional groups and user groups. Target companies that you want to work for and find people in those companies that can help you. "It's not what you know. It's who you know"--this is true.

Social/Professional networking is definately your strongest ally. However, it is less who you know and more "Who knows you and knows what you know."

The idea is to let people know what you do, what you want to do, your ambitions, your work ethic and desire to make a qualitative difference at any company you serve.

When you have done that effectively, your sphere of exposure is greatly expanded. For instance, someone who knows the above about you, may be in a meeting a week from now. You are not there. The person they meet with expresses the desire to find someone who can do "x". "x" being one of those things you do or want to do. Your name is entered in the conversation.

Suddenly, you are not an outsider - one of many responded to a want-ad (the least attractive and the most risky place for employers to find talent). You become the only candidate and one who is referred in. You are held in higher regard.

It is simple. We like doing work with people we know or with people referred to us because anyone new is a higher risk/unknown commodity.

That being said, job boards are one part - perhaps the most passive, least effective part, of a job search. Instead, visit some local companies - whether they have posted jobs or not. Don't just visit the larger companies. I company with 35-200 employees may be just the place to get valuable experience and exposure.

Good Luck!

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

I appreciate all of the advice, and actually have an interview Wednesday, lets hope it goes well!

I'm going to piggy-back on this topic and ask: What about for an EXTREME career changer...

I'm going from band teacher to eventual network admin, esp. interested in a Cisco track; love switching and routing. I already have A+ and Net+ and will be finishing up my fourth and final CCNA course and expect to get CCNA cert in May. (I've nailed the first 3 courses and am reading two supplements.)

I know it takes social networking and such to get a foot in, but what type of job would best put me on track with my goals of CCSP and up.

Am I right to assume it's the same as above (Help Desk, Operator, Client Support, etc.)? And how much harder will it be for me with certs but no IT degree? Thanks.

Shea Carter
A+, Net+

Try IT within what I assume is your current employer, a school system. great benefits, good hours, government pensions. Also, after a while, if you can not cut it, go back to what those people do, teach it, lol. just kidding.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

aarenot's post may be your best solution to getting started in the IT world. Schools often times have entry level positions (IT I, IT II and so on) type positions in their networking groups that you could probably get you started. This could be done while keeping your years of service, and retirement benefits within the same organization.

If eventually this doesn’t take you where you would really what to be, then it would at least give you some experience under your belt to go with your cert.’s.

I would try to spend some time around your IT people and let them know you have an interest in IT and the cert.’s you have and are working on. I have seen this approach work a lot of times through my years here.

LSUHSC

Mikey

Actually, it's too late for that. I quit last year so that I could go to my local community college to take classes; plus I couldn't bear another year of teaching. And I was at a small non-system school anyway, so there was only a part-time IT tech.

So only a fresh start is truly possible. However, I will be using that IT tech at my former school (who became a good friend) as one of my many resources when my search begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back