Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Dupes across multiple fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelaLee

Programmer
May 3, 2004
US
Hi Everyone,
I have a need to find dupes across multiple fields in a few tables and the queries I've used so far are not working for me. Here are exapmle of fields in the table:
PatientID
AdmissionDate
Name
Relationship
How would I go about finding dupes across the first 4 fields. Thanks for any help.
Michael

So by dups you mean that all four fields have exactly the same information? Try:

Code:
Select PatientID, AdmissionDate, Name, Relationship, Count(*) from MyTable group by PatientID, AdmissionDate, Name, Relationship Having Count(*) > 1

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief

Thank you SQLSister for your reply. That worked great. Now I have one more request. How do you change it so that it will delete the dupes without deleting all the records. Meaning, I would like to delete all the dupes but one.
I had the following but it deleted all the dupes:

DELETE PatientID AS [PatientID Field], AdmissionDate AS [AdmissionDate Field], Name AS [Name Field], Relationship AS [Relationship Field], PatientID AS NumberOfDups, PatientID, AdmissionDate, Name, Relationship, Relationship
FROM HouseHolds
WHERE (((PatientID)>"1") AND ((Relationship)>"1"));

Thanks for the help.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back