Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Clients Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtorbin

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
Hey all,

I'm in the process of looking for new clients for my freelance work. I've checked Craigslist, but that only gets updates every so often.

What other sites are good places to find clients who are looking for work (preferably free places)?

- MT

Matt Torbin
Web and Graphic Arts Engineer
PEI-Genesis

aim: dgtlby
direct email: mtorbin_at_mac.com

have a look around webmaster forums most have a professional help forum.

Join the better forums and get known, people will contact you.

there are quite a few freelancing forums and sites but bear in mind the competition for jobs at many of these is from newbies and third world developers who can bid much lower than you because of their cheaper cost of living.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

LOL, yes Chris.
I got tired of being outbid by Ukranian/Indian coding teams who "would be vey happy to work on your project. Can start right away" and claiming to charge $5 for a $500 job.

Plus one particular, well known freelance board is 'so corrupt as to put a Banana Republic to shame'.
Many posters give out contact details to external sites (which is against the usage terms) yet when an abuse report is filed absolutely nothing happens.

Best method I have found is via word of mouth. Friends of friends etc. Then again, I'm not doing freelancing full time so to speak.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

Well, Rentacoder has lots of Eastern European and Asian coding "teams" working at cut price rates. But that's global competition for you. Good luck to them.

It does seem to be run with some control though.

The other one I am thinking of in particular I won't name here.

I'm also a bit iffy on some of the people posting job requests on these sorts of sites. Often they want the world for nothing or they just want to rip off another, successful site for some really hot business plan they think they have. I always feel concerned that I'd have trouble with them. lol.
I'd much rather meet my clients in person for a beer or two.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back