Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding bootlog 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asociate

Programmer
Apr 14, 2002
IN
hi

iam a beginner for linux operating system. i have started learning it. i have a doubt regarding this booting process .Will there be any file which records the booting process ( something like bootlog.txt file in windows) ? i mean when the system boots we see all kind of initialisations etc etc . scrolling throught the screen. i want to know where the system stores this data in which directory and the file name.

thanks
aak

Type 'dmesg' to see everything you saw during the boot process. You probably want to pipe it to less so that you can read it one page at a time.

dmesg | less

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

Take a look at the various files in /var/log. RedHat store most logs there.

Regard
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back