Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding and Loading a "make" file into Visual Basic 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dceplan

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
US
I had a a rather large program constructed in 1993 which was essentially finished and operating at that time but was never put into service until now. However, I have been informed that only the source code, custom processing "rules", and documentation was saved. There are no custom controls or installation files. I have been told that to be able to use the program that the "make" file would have to be loaded into Visual Basic, replace the custom controls, modify the code for any custom properties that was not availible, and compile the program.

Is this possible and if so could how. I am using Visual Basic 6.0 and I am very new to Visual Basic and to the programming arena. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dceplan

The make file itself should load fine. The problem you will run into is if you have forms in that project that are in binary format, not text, which is how VB6 does it. What you can do is open the .frm files with an older VB (if you have one) that uses the binary format and save the form file again, this time check the box that says "Save as Text" and you sould be able to open the file with VB6. I did this with one of my old VB3 make files and it worked fine. Then you can update the custom controls and whatever else you want to do, saving it as a .vbp file.
Hope This Helped

I'm a little concerned here for several reasons:

>a rather large program constructed in 1993
>I am very new to Visual Basic

So, can we clarify:
Was the original program actually written in VB, definiteley, for certain?
If yes, then by someone else?
If yes, was it saved in text format or binary?
1993? VB3 wasn't introduced until summer (June) of 1993, so which version are we talking about (makes a difference)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back