Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding ActionScript Code in Flash MX 2004 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsPepperMintUSA

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
US
Background Info:
I'm trying to modify a Flash movie that was created by another developer. I'm new to the Flash MX 2004 environment.
I am not new to web developing with Macromedia Products. I have coded using HomeSite, Dreamweaver, and create web apps using ColdFusion.

What I Need To Accomplish:
I need to locate the ActionScript code that generates a search functionality within the Flash Movie.

What I Have Attempted So Far:
I figured out how to use the Movie Explorer to view actionscript for Frames.

What I Need Help With:
I think the code will be modified is somewhere in the actual main scene. I read several tutorials, but none of them tell me how to look at the code in a scene or in a symbol.

Any suggestions on how I can view the code for a scene or a symbol would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

MsPepperMintUSA

Window>Development Panels>Actions or F9 to open the actions panel.

In the timeline anything that has a (a) above it has actionscript on it. If there is a button on the stage it will not show up with an (a) but to see the actionscript simply single click on the button and view the "action" panel.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Thanks!!!

Just tried your suggestion, some of the keyframes with the "a" display just one line of code: stop();

There is one scene. The timeline has 6 layers and a multitude of symbols and buttons (when I select the "Edit Symbol" option I see a list of items). I do not see any buttons on any of the 6 layers.

I know there is more code somewhere because the functionality of the flash movie links to a word search functionality (i.e. type in part of a word and the results appear in text box. the results can also contain hyperlinks to other websites) and displays static textual information with different backgrounds.

Some the keyframes with an "a" do not show any code. The section of code that I am trying to view is on a layer named "labels". There are five frames on this layer. Each frame has a name (i.e. "seacrh01", "search02", etc.) and each frame has label type = name. Each frame has an "a" in the keyframe. I am not able to view any of the code.

Is there another way to view the code? If my question can be answered by reading another book or doing an another tutorial, please suggest the website or the book that may help me.

TIA

MsPepperMintUSA

I gather you cannot post a link to this .fla (zipped up and in a MX only format, not MX2004), and what line of code you're looking for, you say you may have spotted in the Movie Explorer?

Unfortunately I can not post a link to the .fla file.

In the 3 layer named "actions", I also saw just one line of code that seems to be pointing to an outside source.
It reads:
getURL("lingo: go \"overview\"");
stop();

After a lot of clicking everywhere, I identified several buttons.

For example purposes, I'll refer to the item as Search01_bt
The "properties" panel is stating that the Search01_bt is "static text".

Search01_bt has 2 layers. Search01_bt has 4 keyframes(don't know if this is the correct terminology) which are "up", "over", "down", and "hit".

The "action" panel for all for frames says: "current selection cannot have actions applied to it."

There is no information in the "target" property for Search01_bt. How do I find out what the Search01_bt does?

There a file with a .dxr extension. Is it possible that the code I am looking for is located here?

TIA

MsPepperMintUSA

It sounds like it was actually created in Director and has been exported to Flash.

The Search01_bt is a button (hence the up/over/down/hit).

I don't think I can help you with what you have explained thus far. I would have to see it. Since you have said that isn't possible then I'm not sure what other help can be had.

One thing you might look for in the folder with the .fla file is a .AS file. This could very easily be the location of your code.

It's not much but I hope it helps!

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Yep, sounds like you're dealing with a Flash file held within a Director harness (the call to 'lingo' is kicking off a function in Director, it's Director's version of ActionScript). This would make sense as Flash isn't a great environment to be developing word searches etc as it's pretty slow at that stuff whereas Director is much more powerful. If you actually need to change the word search routine itself it's probably an idea to post this question in the Director forum or if you can dig out the lingo code post it here and I might be able to help.

Just downloaded Director, will install after breakfast and post more questions in that forum today.

Thanks to all you. You are the best!!!!!!!

MsPepperMintUSA

Hello All:

I posted my additional questions in the Director forum.

Just in case you can help me further, here's the link for that thread thread247-888700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back