Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a Java report writer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trimtrom

Programmer
Dec 12, 2003
GB
Hello

I am a VB programmer moving to Java.

With VB I always used Crystal Reports as a report writer. I am planning to do some private database Java work, and I was wondering what Java programmers do when they want to produce database reports. I presume that none of the free IDEs such as JBuilder come with a report writer built in.

I am especially interested in free opensource software, as I am a rather penniless programmer. The report software would need to integrate seamlessly with a Java database application, but I haven't decided what database I am going to use yet.

I would be grateful for recommendations for free or very cheap software.

Many thanks,

Trimtrom

iText ( ) is another great API that creates PDFs a bit more programmatically than jasperreports - its a bit more close to the bone as it were, but is more flexible in my opinion.

Not a report writer in itself, but for future reference, JFreeChart ( )is an excellant API for creating charts and graphs and stuff.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back