Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a Computer on a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

countymounty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2003
US
Is there a way to find a computer on a network? I have a major virus problem on one of the computers on my LAN that ends up over whelming the network and end ups shutting it down. I know the computer name & IP address but it is not a naming protocol that the company is currently using or has in the past. The IP is one that our DHCP server is handing out so I know that it is connected but so far no luck finding it. Any ideas pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Use the ARP command to resolve the MAC address from the IP.

You can then set up on the DHCP server a reservation based on that MAC for it to get an invalid configuration from within your network. Then, wait until the user complains.

John

You could also use psloggedon.exe (part of the PSTools kit) from to see who is currently logged onto the machine.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Sniff the traffic to see what garbage the box is dumping on the wire and apply a few acls to your switches/routers to block this traffic while you locate the system that is infected.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........

Since it's DHCP, just look at the leases file for the MAC.

If it wasn't using DHCP (and it might not be, even though the IP is in your range), you can use ARP to find the MAC address and then check the switch to see what port it's plugged into.

Thanks for all of yor help! Iwas able to locate the computer and managed to get rid of the virus! Thanks again for all of your time and great advice.

Next time just block all traffic from that IP or MAC, sit back with a nice cup of coffee, and wait for the infected user to send in a help request for their lack of network connectivity! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back