Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a compatible motherboard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barte

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
My motherboard just went south. My PC is four years old, custom built, and has a VIA Mainboard, P4PB 400-FL, ATX. Some of the stats include Pentium 4, 533/400MHz FSB, DDR 400/333 SDRAM, AGP 8X, 6 channel Audio, IEEE1394, USB 2.0, 10/100 LAN. Also use 2 X 512 Crucial memory cards. The repair shop told me that the board is no longer made and they cannot find a compatible replacement. I think they want me to buy a new PC and that is not in my plans. Does anyone have suggestions on what motherboard might work allowing me to keep my processor(Intel 2.4)and my memory cards? Thanks for helping.

Barte
wahnula has put you on the right track, this replacement has a VIA chipset like your old board, so uses the same VIA 4in1 drivers.
What this means is: once you have done the swap it should boot without the "imediate" need to reload Windows.
This will give you the much needed chance to backup your important work.
Note* This is a mATX "mini" motherboard with onboard S3 unichrome graphics (although it does have an 8X AGP upgrade slot as well) it will be perfectly adequate as long as you weren't relying on 5 PCI slots ( being mATX this one only has 2?)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

3 sorry

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back