Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a 4400 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro2k

Technical User
May 5, 2004
GB
I've got a 4400 switch which I cannot find,
by that i mean it's sitting on the desk in front of me but should have a default IP address as all of the others do but apparently doesn't.

When I go through the usual procedure of taking it offline and plugging in to an ethernet port I don't get any response from the 'default' address (169.254.100.100). I wasn't about when these were set up but the rest are all default

My question is how can I find out it's Reset of 3Com Switch address without a null modem which I don't have and can't stomach the 10UKP it'll cost me with P&P. I could go get one if that'll be the only way but surely there is a better way

I'm assuming I could use a scanner to hunt it out but what sort of ranges do people put these things on and I haven't got any experience with scanners anyway

Any advice?
P.S I know the MAC address if that'll help

Download the 3com Network utility and run it while the PC is only connected to the switch. It will "discover" the "LAN" of the switch.

Alex

I think you're probably stuck. Unless you've got some idea of the IP address you won't be able to configure your workstation to be in the same subnet as the switch I/F.

Have you got a "serial laplink" cable hanging around - I think that's a Null modem cable. Or even an old serial (not USB) modem. Strangely enough they used to use Null modem cables ;-)

Mick

It wasn't strange to use null modem cables it was sensible as a customer can buy these off the shelf cheaply unlike the cisco cables or even the Nortel/Bay ones which were pinned oddly.

using the serial port should let you get to the Cli so you can see the IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back